What is a compounding pharmacy?
Compounding is the art and science of preparing customized medications to provide patients with a pharmaceutical product that fits their unique needs when a standard marketed drug fails to do so. Compounded medications are ordered by a licensed physician, veterinarian, dentist or other prescriber, and mixed from bulk ingredients in a careful, safe and controlled environment by a licensed compounding pharmacist.
A Compounding Pharmacist has had an extensive training in the specialized art of medication compounding.
At one time, all pharmacies were compounding pharmacies. It was common for a pharmacist to use his knowledge in preparing medications for a specific patient, in a specific form that met his or her unique health needs, using the highest standards that were available at that time. Modernization of pharmacy created the production of mass-marketed medications, and the compounding pharmacist role quickly died and became simply that of a dispenser. Today, the “one-size-fits-all” nature of many manufactured drugs doesn’t meet some patients’ unique needs.
Pharmacy compounding may be the only option when a patient is allergic to a certain preservative, dye or binder in the available off-the-shelf medication. Also, when treatment requires a different dosage not available commercially (like for infants, children, elderly or pets) or when the medication needs to be flavored to make it more palatable for some patients, especially children. Finally, the medication can be put in a cream, liquid or suppository, when ingesting the medication in the form of a tablet is not possible (i.e. patients with mouth ulcers, in hospice, etc.)
Areas of Specialized Compounding:
- Hormone therapy for women- bioidentical hormones
- Hormone therapy for men- bioidentical hormones
- Adrenal fatigue/thyroid hormones
- Pain management – including transdermal pain creams and ointments and palliative care
- Wound Care
- Sports Medicine
- Veterinary Medicine
- Pharmacists trained in alternative therapies and specialty compounding
- MayAccurate system used for 10x accuracy for narrow therapeutic range meds (i.e. thyroid compounds)
- 3-24 hour turnaround time
- Free delivery/shipping anywhere in Florida